Do I receive my diploma at commencement?

No. Diplomas are not distributed at commencement. Graduates are given a diploma cover containing a letter from the campus president

When and how do I get my diploma?

Upon completion of all course requirements, your degree will be awarded. Your academic transcript will reflect this achievement. The graduation review process takes three to four business weeks following the end of a term. Once awarded, your diploma will be printed and mailed to the address specified on your graduation application in jwuLink. After you have been verified as a graduate, please allow at least 3 additional weeks for your diploma to arrive. Diplomas will be issued provided all financial obligations with the university have been met and there are no other holds or outstanding issues on your record (e.g., outstanding library fee, unreturned athletic gear).

I'm finishing my associate degree now and continuing on for a bachelor's degree. Do I have to attend commencement now or can I wait?

Each degree has its own separate graduation date. You have the option to attend commencement this year for your associate degree or you can wait to attend commencement in the year when you finish your bachelor's degree. Or, you can attend both commencements. It's your choice; your name will be printed in the program regardless of attendance at commencement. If you plan to wait to attend commencement, you are not required to complete exit counseling now.

I cannot or do not want to attend commencement. Do I need to tell anyone? Will my name be printed in the commencement program?

No notice is required if you are not attending. Your name will be printed in the program regardless of attendance, but it will not be announced since you will not be in attendance to cross the stage.

If I am not attending commencement, do I still need to complete exit counseling?

If you have student loans, yes - this is a requirement.

How do I submit or view my graduation application? What is it?

Fill it out to specify how you want your name printed on your diploma and where you want it mailed. To view or submit yours, login to jwuLink > go to the Academics tab > refer to the Graduation & Commencement section.

How do I get my Cap & Gown Form?

You get it at a JWU Exit Session. Before going, you must complete student loan exit counseling. If you have no Federal Direct or Perkins loans, you do not need to complete student loan exit counseling, but you will need to attend a JWU Exit Session, to pick-up your cap & gown form.

How do I order my cap and gown?

Order your cap and gown online by April 1, 2019. Visit The Village Bookstore if you have any questions.

How do I complete student loan exit counseling?  

  1. View your student loans (click the Financial Aid Review button)

  2. If you have a Federal Direct Loan, complete exit counseling here (after login, click Complete Counseling > click Exit Counseling > follow all instructions).

  3. Once finished, please print proof of completion and bring it to an Exit Session.

When are JWU Exit Sessions?

Please monitor JWU email for upcoming dates, times and instructions. Note: If you are not bringing proof of completion for student loan exit counseling, allow for at least 30 minutes and bring the name, address and telephone number for two personal references.

What if I have no Federal Direct Loans?

You are not required to go to a JWU Exit Session. Instead, please visit Student Financial Services in-person during office hours to get your Cap & Gown Form.
Note: If you have a Federal Perkins Loan, you must attend an Exit Session to complete student loan exit counseling.

What if I will be off-campus during the spring term (and my graduation term is spring, summer or fall)?

You are not required to go to a JWU Exit Session. Note: If you have federal student loans, you will receive instructions during your graduation term to complete student loan exit counseling.

After I get my Cap & Gown Form, where do I go?

Take your form to the Village Bookstore. Note: Copies of the form will NOT be accepted.

Will the ceremony be videotaped or streamed live?

The ceremony is not videotaped but it is streamed live. Watch your JWU email for link information.

Where can I park my car when arriving at commencement?

There are ample parking facilities in and around the city at various lots and garages. Rates will vary. is a great resource to find lots and garages.

What's the address for The Spectrum Center?

333 East Trade Street, Charlotte, NC 28202. Get directions.

Is there a seating chart for The Spectrum Center?

Is there a special section for wheelchairs?

Yes. The Spectrum Center has several sections of wheelchair-accessible spaces available on the concourse level.

Are wheelchairs provided?

No. If a member of your party requires ambulatory assistance you must provide your own wheelchair.

Have other questions?
Contact 980-598-1020, representatives will be able to answer your questions or refer you to someone who can give you the information you need.