Note: Notices will be emailed to degree candidates when Exit Sessions & cap/gown distribution begin.
When do I need to complete my Exit Session & get my cap/down? If:
- Graduation term is winter = during the winter term
- Graduation term is spring, summer or fall = during the spring term
- Registered for internship in the spring term = during the winter term.
See below for instructions & specific dates.
Which bookstore location do I need to go to?
- Culinary & graduate programs = Harborside Bookstore
- All other programs = Downcity Bookstore
What else will I get besides a cap & gown?
- All graduating students except AS degree candidates will receive an Academic Hood.
- Undergraduates with a 3.4 or higher GPA as of the winter term will receive a Gold Cord.
- Honors Program graduating students with a 3.4 or higher GPA as of the winter term will receive an Honors Gold Stole (note: this stole is given out by the program director).
- Undergraduates who've participated in co-curricular activities designated by university parameters will receive a Blue & White Cord (note: these cords are distributed by the applicable club or program director).
How do I put on the cap & gown and what should I wear?
- Avoid ironing the gown; instead, tumble dry it on low in a dryer & then place on a hanger.
- Under the gown, wear professional attire with comfortable dress shoes.
- Place tassels on the front, right side of your cap.
- The Academic Hood should be placed over the shoulders & then unfolded to expose the colors.
Exit Session Instructions
When done with steps 1 & 2, PRINT proof of completion for each.
An Exit Session is not required if you have no federal loans, or a summer or fall graduation term. No Cap & Gown Form will be required at the bookstore.
Step 1: Complete Student Loan Exit Counseling
- Complete exit counseling at the Federal Student Aid website.
Step 2 (undergrad students with a spring graduation term only): Complete The Outcomes Survey
AS degree students continuing for a JWU BS degree are not required to complete the survey at this time.
- Invitations will be emailed from "JWU Institutional Research" beginning in April.
- Follow instructions to complete this very brief survey, which asks what you are doing after graduation (working, pursuing an advanced degree, etc.).
Step 3: Attend an Exit Session ↓
Exit Session Dates
Bring the printed items described above to any session. Arrive any time, just allow up to 30 minutes.
When done, you'll receive your Cap & Gown Form, which you'll need to bring to the JWU Bookstore.
Spring 2018 Dates: