Note: Notices will be emailed to degree candidates when Exit Sessions & cap/gown distribution begin.
Doctoral and Physician Assistant program students: Please disregard instructions on this page. Do not report to an Exit Session or the campus bookstore. Due to your specialized degree, directors in your program will communicate distribution information to you.
When do I need to complete my Exit Session & get my cap/down? If:
- Graduation term is winter = during the winter term
- Graduation term is spring, summer or fall = during the spring term
- Registered for internship in the spring term = during the winter term.
See below for instructions & specific dates.
Which bookstore location do I need to go to?
- Culinary & graduate programs = Harborside Bookstore
- All other programs = Downcity Bookstore
What else will I get besides a cap & gown?
- All graduating students except AS degree candidates will receive an Academic Hood.
- Undergraduates with a 3.4 or higher GPA as of the winter term will receive a Gold Cord.
- Honors Program graduating students with a 3.4 or higher GPA as of the winter term will receive an Honors Gold Stole (note: this stole is given out by the program director).
- Undergraduates who've participated in co-curricular activities designated by university parameters will receive a Blue & White Cord (note: these cords are distributed by the applicable club or program director).
How do I put on the cap & gown and what should I wear?
- Avoid ironing the gown; instead, tumble dry it on low in a dryer & then place on a hanger.
- Under the gown, wear professional attire with comfortable dress shoes.
- Place tassels on the front, right side of your cap.
- The Academic Hood should be placed over the shoulders & then unfolded to expose the colors.
Exit Session Instructions
When done with steps 1 & 2, PRINT proof of completion for each.
An Exit Session is not required if you have no federal loans, or a summer or fall graduation term. No Cap & Gown Form will be required at the bookstore.
Step 1: Complete Student Loan Exit Counseling
- Complete exit counseling at the Federal Student Aid website.
Step 2 (undergrad students with a spring graduation term only): Complete The First Destination Survey
AS degree students continuing for a JWU BS degree are not required to complete the survey at this time.
- Invitations will be emailed from "JWU Institutional Research" beginning in April.
- Follow instructions to complete this very brief survey, which asks what you are doing after graduation (working, pursuing an advanced degree, etc.).
Step 3: Attend an Exit Session ↓
Exit Session Dates
Bring the printed items described above to any session. Arrive any time, just allow up to 30 minutes.
When done, you'll receive your Cap & Gown Form, which you'll need to bring to the JWU Bookstore.
Spring 2018 Dates: