Cap/Gown, Name Card & Tickets

Please review all FAQs. Academic regalia, name cards and tickets are distributed prior to commencement during specified dates. Detailed instructions will be emailed to eligible students when it’s time to complete these activities. 

How much are graduation fees? 

JWU does not have a graduation fee; however, students do need to purchase their cap/gown. The cost by program is $36.79 for associate degrees; $63.50 for bachelor's degrees; $66.79 for master's degrees. Payment and distribution occurs at the JWU Bookstore during Exit Sessions.

Note: Avoid ironing your gown; instead, tumble dry it on low in a dryer and then place on a hanger. Under the gown, wear professional attire with comfortable dress shoes. Place tassels on the front, right side of your cap.

What's a Name Card?

It's used to announce your name when you cross the commencement stage. If necessary, to make sure your name is pronounced correctly, write clearly and directly on your card the best way to pronounce your name.

What name gets printed on my Name Card and in the Commencement Program?

Your name will match what's listed on your Graduation Application, which you can view in jwuLink

What if I prefer to use a different first name (other than my legal name) on my Name Card and/or in the Commencement Program?

Please submit the Graduation Name in Use form by April 7, 2023. If the submission deadline is missed, your name card can be adjusted the day of commencement (simply cross out your first name and write in your preferred name). For the pre-printed program, we will produce an addendum during the summer - please fill out the Graduation Name in Use form by May 19, 2023 and then email to request a copy.

Are tickets required for guests?

  • Yes, tickets are required for the Undergraduate Ceremony.
  • Tickets are NOT required for the Graduate Studies Ceremony - there will be ample seating.

I'm participating in the Undergraduate Ceremony, how many tickets do I get?

  • Each graduating student is allotted five (5) tickets.
  • Tickets are for general admittance - seats are not assigned.
  • Tickets are required for any guest occupying a seat (a ticket is not needed for a baby who will be sitting on an adult's lap).
  • Tickets are free, have no monetary value and cannot be replaced if lost.
  • A limited number of accessibility tickets for guests in wheelchairs are available upon request - please ask for them when picking up tickets.

How can I get additional tickets for the Undergraduate Ceremony?

  • A few days prior to commencement, we will distribute any unclaimed tickets on a first-come, first-served basis. We will not know how many tickets are available until then. Updates and instructions will be shared in jwuLink at that time.
  • In the meantime, you may post requests to the Providence Commencement Group in jwuLink.
  • Students who don't plan to use all their tickets may give their unused tickets to any student seeking them.
  • Tickets should NEVER be sold or bought, which is considered a university violation and will trigger the conduct review process.

What other academic regalia do I get with my cap & gown?

  • All graduating students except AS degree candidates will receive an Academic Hood (place it over your shoulders and then unfold to expose the colors).
  • Undergraduate degree recipients with a 3.5 or higher GPA as of the fall semester will receive a Gold Cord.
  • Undergraduate degree recipients in the Honors Program who have a 3.4 or higher GPA as of the fall semester will receive an Honors Gold Stole (given out by the program director).
  • Undergraduate degree recipients who participated in co-curricular activities designated by university parameters will receive a Blue & White Cord (distributed by the applicable club or program director).

When & where do I pick up my academic regalia, name card & tickets?

These items are distributed during Exit Sessions, which occur in December and April, at specified locations and times. Eligible students will receive instructions via email when it is time to complete these activities.

  • Students graduating in fall will participate in December Exit Sessions.
  • Students registered for spring internship will participate in December Exit Sessions.
  • Students graduating in spring or later will participate in April Exit Sessions.

Do I have to complete and attend Student Loan Exit Counseling first?

If it's your final semester and you have federal student loans, then yes. You will need to go to the Student Loan Exit Counseling location first (see dates and locations below). When cleared, you can then proceed to the Exit Session. If it's required for you, you will receive instructions via email.

If it's not your final semester or you don't have loans, you can proceed directly to an Exit Session.

When & where are December Exit Sessions?



Exit Session Location

Student Loan Exit Counseling Location

Wednesday, Dec 7


Downcity Bookstore

Xavier 201

Thursday, Dec 8


Harborside Bookstore

HAC Computer Lab C-3

When & where are April Exit Sessions?

TBD - check back in early spring. Again, eligible students will receive instructions via email when it is time to complete these activities.

What if I cannot appear in person to pick up my academic regalia, name card & tickets?

Please email for instructions.