Student Speakers will:
- Network with distinguished guests & university administration prior to the ceremony.
- Sit on stage during the ceremony.
- Have a short bio featured in the commencement program.
- Receive reserved seating for family members & guests.
Students must meet the following requirements (as of the winter term).
- A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.4, with expected completion of a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree in 2018.
- Good academic, financial & disciplinary standing at JWU.
Candidates may only apply to speak at the ceremony held for their program. Professional staff enrolled as students are not eligible.
Email email@example.com the following completed items by 4pm on Wednesday, March 21, 2018:
- Name and JWU ID#
- Telephone # (specify day/evening)
- College, Major, & Grade Point Average
- A current résumé
- One draft copy of your commencement address which must be typed & double-spaced.
- The address should be no more than 450-500 words.
- Highlight an experience that your fellow graduates can relate to.
- What about your JWU experience has motivated you to get where you are today?
- A selection committee will review submissions anonymously & the committee chair will invite the top three candidates for each ceremony to deliver their speeches for final evaluation.
- Each address will be evaluated based on grammar, spelling, theme/idea, coherency, creativity, organization, potential, audience & voice.
- Notification from the committee chair will occur on or before April 6, 2018.
- After selecting the speakers, committee members will work with the selected students to finalize their speeches.